The scholarship honors Michel de Montaigne, the French Renaissance author and essayist. Participants read an essay by Montaigne, discuss it in a classroom setting, and write an essay. A committee of faculty members evaluates each participant’s performance and selects the scholarship winners. Results will be announced in March.
Participants will be sent a copy of the selected Montaigne text for the competition once they RSVP for the competition. (See below.)
Full and partial tuition scholarships for four academic years
February 15, 2014
3424 S. State Street
Chicago, Illinois 60616
If you are applying online, please email pdf copies of your writing samples and letter(s) of recommendation to email@example.com. Please mail the application fee to the street address above.
If you are mailing your application, please send all material to the street address above. Please leave ample time for your application to arrive by mail by the February 1, 2014 deadline.
A complete Application for Admission comprises:
- Completed and signed application form. Please note: you may apply as a Weekday/Weekend or Early Entrant student. Special Status students are not eligible for the Montaigne Scholarship. Please select appropriate application form,
- Writing samples as requested,
- Letter(s) of recommendation as requested,
- High school transcripts,
- $25 application fee payable to Shimer College
2. RSVP for the Montaigne competition here.
3. To be eligible for a Montaigne Scholarship, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. The form can be completed anytime after January 1 and must be completed before a scholarship can be awarded. Note: Students who are awarded federal or state grants may have their scholarship adjusted if the combined amount of all aid exceeds the cost of tuition.